Our CSA brought a pile of green pea pods and parsley last week. I like looking up new recipes once the ingredients arrive. This one is a variation on Martha Stewart’s Pea, Lemon, and Egg-Drop Soup. To make the lemony, summery soup you will need:
*1 1/2 pounds fresh peas in pods
*5 cups stock (We make ours using Better Than Bullion. The mushroom and veggie flavors are vegetarian and really yummy)
*2 large eggs, lightly beaten with fork
*1 bunch of parsley
*zest + juice from one lemon
*freshly ground pepper
1. Shell peas and place pods, parsley and stock in medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and partially cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Strain pods and parsley and return stock to pot.
4. Bring stock to a boil and add peas. Simmer 3 – 4 minutes until they turn bright green.
5. Turn off heat and slowly pour in stream of eggs and stir with a fork to make strands.
6. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Grind in pepper to taste and serve immediately.